Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Dally in Delhi

On the way to my trekking destination this year to Uttarakhand, I had the opportunity to spend some time in the capital. And I made sure to visit those places which I had missed during my previous visit many years ago.


India Gate was the first in the list. I got down at the Central secretariat metro station and was told by a passerby on inquiry that I have to walk through couple of gardens to reach the India Gate. And I did just what was told. After walking some distance through the lawns crossing the Janpath and Man Singh roads, I was in front of the war memorial to the soldiers who died during First World War. Below words are inscribed on the monument:

TO THE DEAD OF THE INDIAN ARMIES WHO FELL HONOURED IN FRANCE AND FLANDERS MESOPOTAMIA AND PERSIA EAST AFRICA GALLIPOLI AND ELSEWHERE IN THE NEAR AND THE FAR-EAST AND IN SACRED MEMORY ALSO OF THOSE WHOSE NAMES ARE RECORDED AND WHO FELL IN INDIA OR THE NORTH-WEST FRONTIER AND DURING THE THIRD AFGHAN WAR
Spent sometime around the memorial and then proceeded towards the Rashtrapati Bhavan in the same route I had come but further ahead after crossing the Central secretariat station. The Parliment house, North and South Block on the way made the walk interesting as if I'm watching any news channel on TV. In fact, met many reporters and news crew in front of the Parliment house. Of course, the innumerable vehicles with red beacons, Govt. number plates made quite an impression.



Later, I proceeded towards Red Fort. I noticed it was the right time for the 'Light and Sound' show. I took the ticket and started walking towards the show area through the security check. What I witnessed next left me flabbergasted. All the visitors were welcomed with mosquito repellent, Odomos. I mean it! Though I noticed the entrance was full of mosquitoes in the evening, I was taken aback by the sight of officials distributing the repellent. Instead of finding a solution for the problem, management here has decided to ask visitors to apply repellent. I reached the main seating area of the show, and one more official standing there with Odomos. This was certainly an indication of how serious the mosquito problem was. Honestly, I had never seen before those many mosquitoes  interested in the 'Light and Sound' show!
Anyways, despite covering myself with a cap and pull-over, I couldn't let myself take the punishment of sitting there for more than 10 minutes after the show began. I walked out.

 
Disappointed by the state of matters at the historical place of India, I decided to visit the Jain temple situated opposite to the Red Fort. Seeing so many Jains praying, singing and chanting with diyas in hand was quite a scene.
The plan was to have dinner at nearby Parathe Wali Gali and proceed towards the Delhi railway station. Had sumptuous dinner at the Parathe Wala with those interesting and tasty variety of Paranthas.



Well, all this was during my onward journey and while finally returning from my trek, I got another half a day at Delhi. I decided to visit the famous Akshardham. The temple with it's architectural work, the sandstone and marble carved pillars and everything else at the venue left me spellbound. One great move by the management there was to ban taking of mobile devices and cameras inside the temple. This leaves the place serene with no disturbances from those who go crazy taking snaps around ;-)
Befriended an Ukranian, Alex while standing in the queue. Enjoyed the mandir view and had fun chatting on many topics as well which included war, country traditions, food habits, job, interests and marriage.





I have to finish off saying that I indeed had a nice time roaming around Delhi lanes.

1 comment: