Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Happenstance!

A fortnight ago, I called up my friend to talk about the travel arrangements to our common friend's wedding. As we live in the same city, I expected to travel together. But to my disappointment, I was told that she has already booked the tickets - well, onward and return as well. She tried to convince me over her decision saying that she is actually traveling to a different city and then to the city where the wedding is arranged. But what about the return journey? huh.. Yes, she was kind of ignorant about this fact.
So I attended the wedding traveling all alone(most of you guys agree, its quite boring!). In the function, she was one among those very few known faces. I was glad to spend time with her and got to know few of her friends. And later while talking about the return journey, we found that we both were traveling in the same train. Quite a relief, at least we can sit together for sometime even if we have our seats in different bogies.

Later that evening, I reached the station and went straight to the computer to check my ticket's status as it was not yet confirmed. Its always a good feeling to have our tickets confirmed at the last minute:). Just few minutes before the departure I found my friend, out in the crowd, boarding the train. And to my surprise, she was boarding in the bogie in which my ticket got confirmed. I went straight to the list of passengers to check whether she is actually placed in the same bogie. Well, there it was - shock of the day, she is placed just opposite to my just-got-confirmed seat. Not just the same bogie but the same compartment too. That's a nice co-incidence I should say.
I saw her father passing on the luggage to her and just followed her till we reached our seats. When she turned back after placing her luggage, she saw me and immediately enquired about my seat. When I told her I am sitting at 54, just opposite to hers i.e. 51, she didn't believe me, thinking its a joke. She returned to her father for few minutes and in the meantime checked the passenger's list only to find my full name at 54. She too was very much surprised about this co-incidence. Later we did talk about this incidence for a while and continued our talks happily till late night. Return journey was indeed satisfying!

I am sure everyone would have come across many of these kind of co-incidences. I would be more than happy to hear from you too.

4 comments:

  1. well,nothing comes on top of my mind now:)

    but definitely once, i wished for a person to sit next to my place in a flight and it didn't happen :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this happened to me quite a few times. I can remeber two distict instances that are worth mention. My friend who is from pune stays abroad and was visiting pune for few days. I was on travel spree - every weekend so had tickets already and was travelling to pune thinking that i will get to meet this guy and his wife. In the train next day morning I saw a familiar face walking by and he too recognised me. He was my friends old roomie. Then we found out that he and his wife were just in next compartment. I thought what a waste that journey as it was almost time when we reached pune. They were also travelling to pune to meet the same friend :)
    The second instance was also from my every weekend travelling spree. It was journey to pune and was quite happening because of all mismatch in the train berth no.s because of addition of side middle in the boggy. Finally I had found the place where i was suppose sit and went happily. On sunday while travelling back I see two guys (both travelling separately) in my comparatment who were there while i was going to pune. We all were surprised that time that it happened for 3 of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rab Neee Banaaaa Deeeeee Jooooooodiiiiiiiiii :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @a fan,
    better luck next time :)

    @Sheetal
    nice co-incidences :).. but did you guys sit together for a chat later in your second instance??

    @Amruth
    Grow up!! that's all I can say :-p

    One more instance worth mentioning..
    Once while returning from my hometown, I started a conversation with the guy next to me in train only to find that he my sister's very good friend, my friend's cousin and works in a company who provides projects to my other friend's start up company! Well, that was very surprising and too much of co-incidences at once:)
    And we could figure these details only when I was asked my surname and my college :)

    ReplyDelete