Tuesday, July 12, 2016

My mobile applications

This post requires a little bit of background so please bear with me here :)
My career in IT industry started with one of the finest mobile manufacturers, Motorola. And later I moved to one more mobile manufacturers, Samsung. During the first few years in mobile industry there weren't any Play Store or App Store for the platforms; All the applications came in as inbuilt applications and only few games came as separate downloadable java applets. Later when iOS and Android platforms rose to the stardom beating all the existing platforms and manufacturers the game completely changed w.r.t downloadable applications and many other aspects.

With that little background I'm here to write about the applications that I've developed so far and a small landmark concerning one ;-)

During my Samsung stint, I didn't work for Android mobile devices but worked for Samsung's own Tizen platform and devices. My scope of work was at the platform side mainly in the middleware which enable all the applications to do their work. But that didn't stop me from having a desire to upload my own applications in the app store which is open for all the end users to download and use.

I decided to work extra to develop my first Tizen application called 'Quiz Time' (Android version is also available in Android Play Store which is developed by my wife, Varsha). Quizzing is something which I enjoyed during my school days and also won many competitions back then. Keeping this interest in mind I wrote this quiz application with 4 categories i.e. India, Cricket, Science & Technology and World with devels in each categories. This was a simple app having SQL database in the backend and UI was developed using EFL framework. I finally had great deal of satisfaction, more like a sense of accomplishment, when the app was uploaded and made available in Tizen app store :)

I followed this by developing one more application called 'Auto Wi-Fi' which mainly helps in saving power by managing the Wi-Fi status based on scheduled times and the state of Wi-Fi connection. The response to this application was even better with ~500 downloads during initial launch of a new Tizen phone in Indian market. Now when I see it's current status, it stands firm with more than ~50,000 downloads. Though it's not an over the top experience but certainly a feel good factor!

And BTW, I later went on to write one more application which was very simple. A Counter app which helps during sports activity or agents in retail shops etc. I found this was missing in Tizen phone when I was playing a game and I was required to count. This was so simple that I could write it in a day and upload to app store. However, it later got suspended due to it's simplicity. lol :-D

Here is the current standing!



5 comments:

  1. Your profile says: "Here to share about my experiences, be it the trip details, running activity or any book reviews."

    Why are you writing off topics and wasting the readers' valuable time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Naveen. 50K+ people benefiting is a big deal.

    Port it to Android so that a larger user base gets benefited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous, any person who understands English would infer that the topics shared here are not limited to just trip details, running activity or book reviews from that statement.
    Anyways, thanks for stopping by and hope you have much more important things to do with your valuable time apart from commenting anonymously and proving yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Amruth, thanks for the nice comments ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go bro !!! So gd to c ur progress , gd job bro

    ReplyDelete