Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Trip to Mahabaleshwar

Long weekend was here due to Labor's day and we decided to visit Mahabaleshwar. It's a hill station in Maharashtra in the Sahyadri range and a well known weekend getaway. My wife and my in-laws have visited this place on many occasions before and it was kinda long overdue for me.

Mahabaleshwar is a small town with few tourist attractions and a very pleasant weather that makes it an awesome place to visit, especially during summers. I personally didn't visit these high altitude viewing points, which are considered the main attractions. However, I spent most of the time strolling around the market area and nearby places in the center of the town.

The market street has many shops selling shoes, sandals, dresses, different flavors of sweets and chocolates, juices, fruits, leather items and many more. There is something inexplicable about these markets; people tend to switch to shopping mood quite easily, even if they hadn't really planned for before coming to the place.

The best thing I could buy is a box of strawberries. These were super fresh and sweet. I don't think I had so many strawberries at a stretch in my life before. Please don't forget to buy if you happen to visit this place. Later, I found that Mahabaleshwar accounts for about 80% of strawberries productions in the country. That certainly is huge.
And BTW, I almost forgot to mention, despite a big crowd swamping in throughout the year, this town is super clean and tidy. There's a multi-level parking lot near the market place as well to ease the parking problem.

Horse riding is another attraction and this is what my kiddo enjoyed the most apart from the swimming at the hotel pool. He's little afraid of water, rather was, due to his swimming teacher's ironic act of pushing him into water to take away his fear of water. After first days swimming where I taught him how to paddle his hands and legs using a tube around him, he got quite used to the technique and started enjoying. Second day morning the first thing he said after waking up was - 'Lets go for a swim'. :)
He has been here before couple of times and he enjoys it totally.

We visited a nearby Mapro graden where we get many fruit products such as juices, squashes, chocolates etc. To make the selection process easy, they have many counters providing juice samples. Make sure to buy what you really need as it's quite easy to get carried away by the choices :)

1 comment:

  1. Very well described. I liked this place too, strawberries, blueberries, mapro factory, chocolate making all good stuff. Best place to get lost if you want to avoid all the city pollution and traffic.

    ReplyDelete