Monday, January 22, 2018

Tata Mumbai Marathon 2018

Race category: Half Marathon (21.1 kms)
Timing: 2:16:26

I had registered for the Tata Mumbai Marathon 2018 in Aug'2017 as I was already practicing for Bengaluru Half Marathon and Hubballi Half Marathon for the months of Oct'2017 and Nov'2017 respectively. I got application confirmation in Oct'2017 based on my previous 10K timing of Bengaluru 10K. This provided me ample HM experience and practice.
Unfortunately, the month of December was hectic with a lot of traveling due to two marriages at home and hence I didn't have any good running going on. With only 3 weeks of running in January, I came to Mumbai with no great expectations and set a realistic target of 2:20. I reached Mumbai two days prior to the race and collected the bib on 19th. It's quite difficult to come to a place like Mumbai and not visit the interesting tourist attractions. The fact that it was my first visit to the Mumbai city added more excitement. And thanks to my wonderful friend, Abhishek who had all the energy, time and patience to take me around the city during these two days. Though we kept it light the previous day of the Marathon, I somehow felt little tired the previous night, may be due to traveling and lack of sleep.

On the race morning, I came to the holding area well before the scheduled time and warmed up. The plan was simple: run at constant speed from start to finish. The race started at 5:40 and within few minutes we were at the sea-link connecting Bandra and Worli and it was simply amazing. After couple of kilometers, I didn't feel any tiredness and started my self-talk: "I'm feeling good and strong". I changed my plan and started running at a faster pace as I felt strong. Taking advantage of the easy elevation, I continued for few more kilometers at that improved pace. That gave me confidence to update my target to 2:17. At around 12-13 kms mark, there was this crazy road which was quite steep uphill and I said to myself not to stop running at any cost. And I was successful in doing that and I started feeling much better. For next few kilometers the route was just next to the sea and it was a great sight. By this time the sun was up and it was quite a view; the sea, the birds in good numbers, people enjoying on the beach will surely give a soothing effect. The enthusiastic crowd cheering and providing support were great. At no point during the race I stopped or walked. I finished the race surprisingly strong, in fact I could afford a 200 mts sprint at the end (which few suggest not to do).
And when I checked the time, it read 2:16 and that brought a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. I was really happy with the efforts and this instilled a new urge to improve further with some changes in the running plans and good practice.
Glad that I ran in this this Mumbai Marathon and I know for sure I will run there again in coming years!

No comments:

Post a Comment