Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hidden image

On the way to the coffee-machine in my office, my eyes used to always fall on a particular photo frame kept in one of my co-worker's cubicle(oh NO!!, it isn't the kind of image which catches one's attention normally ;-)) . Well, this photo frame is much similar to the ones which my granny possess. May be this fact made me more curious to know what this photo embeds in it. You might be wondering now, what is so difficult in knowing what a photo or image is all about, all we need to do is to just look at it. But let me tell you, the photo/image which I am talking here is not an ordinary 2D image but is a 3D stereogram.
Today, finally I went to my co-worker and inquired about the image. She was more than happy to explain me about it. She provided me some tips to follow to actually view the hidden image in it. After around 2-3 mins of straining my eyes, I could finally figure out the image embedded in it. The 3D image had layers of images, background image, a heart in the next and finally word 'YOU' on it. It was a great feeling to decrypt it( or is it because of the type of hidden image ?! :) Now having known the trick, I can go to my granny and ask her photos to check the hidden god images.
I went to my friends with the frame in my hand and forced them to try their luck in identifying the hidden image in it. I gave them all the tips but all in vain as nobody could figure it out. I was disappointed as they would not enjoy the excitement what I went through and felt lofty at the same time as I alone could see the hidden image ;-)

Basically a stereogram is an optical illusion of depth created from flat, two-dimensional image or images. And the one which my co-worker and granny have is called a autostereogram. An autostereogram is an optical illusion of depth usually observed by allowing the eyes to focus behind an image (diverge), but also sometimes in front of the image (converge). These two methods are also known as wall-eyed and cross-eyed, respectively.

Wall-eyed:

Cross-eyed:

To enjoy this nice illusion, check out for few stereograms. But mind you, few people cannot see the hidden images - Why?.

Updated**

Tips:
Wall-eyed - Blur your eyesight
- Try to move yourself in the range of 6 - 12 inches from the image and try to figure out the different layers in it.

Cross-eyed - As the name says, its pretty straight forward.

In the wall-eyed image attached above, you should be able to see a knight on a horse(facing left side) with his left hand on his sword and a flag in right hand.

2 comments:

  1. maybe you should tell as how to see these images...
    bcos, i am seeing only corrupted format :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. finding difficult to view as always le...

    ReplyDelete